We are here in Bahia Tortuga, at an Internet cafe. Sorry for the strange text and fonts. I had to cut and paste from Works to notepad to this post.
We are having fun checking things out. Below is a snippet of our log. Good luck reading it.
UPDATED post for 11/5==========
=========================
Tenacity S/V Trip log from San Diego south. (October - November 2007)
We arrived at Coronado on Friday night (Oct. 26th) and stayed at Los Glorious anchorage for two nights before moving over to the Police Docks at Shelter Island, San Diego on Sunday Oct. 28. Although, before moving over, we just explored and went for walks. We actually helped rescue a grounded sailboat from the rocks.
On Tuesday (October 30) Patrick joined us before leaving for San Quintin. On Wednesday (October 31) we left San Diego at 6:30am. We were expecting warm and sunny weather. After getting out of San Diego bay, we turned left and went south to San Quintin. Enroute we passed the Islas Coranodos on our starboard (right) side. We sailed for approximately 30 hours, 150 nautical miles. Unfortunately we did not have enough wind to sail, so it was a long “motor” stretch. Throughout the day we just checked the charts, GPS, and worked with the auto-pilot. We continued to motor through the night, and arrived at San Quintin around 10:30 am, (on Thursday Nov. 1) sooner than we thought. This bay was somewhat disorienting. After pulling into our anchorage we all aboard thought north was actually west, and we felt like the “protected anchorage” was sitting out in the ocean. We spent the rest of the day taking showers, and just checking things around the boat. In reality it was a very calm and protected anchorage.
On Friday, November 2, we pulled out of San Quintin around 7 am headed to San Benitos islands. On Friday we motored until about noon, when the wind finally picked up. We were lucky enough to have 15 to 25 knot winds from Noon Friday until about 6 am, Saturday 3. We tried a few different sail combinations, including the mizzen sail, or no mizzen sail and went wing on wing, or just the main sail shortened. We continually got speeds of 6 knots, and occasional 7 knots of speed “over land” (not just through the water). We arrived here in San Benito Islands today Saturday, November 3rd around 9:30 am. After anchoring a local came out in his row boat asking if we wanted lobster. The crew on our partner boat actually took him up on his offer. After that three of us kayaked out and about our boats. We landed on the “beach” of the little village, and went exploring. This afternoon we just goofed off and cleaned up the boat etc. Tomorrow we are planning on leaving around 6 am headed to Turtle Bay (that has a decent town).
Sunday (November 4th) we left San Benitos Islands at 6 am. We motored with no winds, and cloudy sky, with no sun. Actually we had very calm seas. Finally as we passed Cedros Island the sun came out and we thought we finally hit the warm Mexican climate. Psych!!! The sun went behind clouds after only about two hours. Around noon we actually got some wind, so we used both the motor and the sails. At some point around 2 in the afternoon, several dolphins joined us, and swam with and near the boat. Terry was driving and was the first to notice them, only because he saw one jump higher than the deck of the boat. Then Vicki and Patrick went up on the bow to watch them. At one point we decided to get a camera and try to catch them on film / digital. We did get some video, but mostly of the water. We decided they were camera shy. We pulled into Turtle Bay around 4:30pm. After dropping anchor, we sat and had wine on board and soaked in the surroundings. Several pangas came close and asked if we had trash (basura), if we needed fuel, and if we needed laundry done. So tonight is enchiladas on board, and tomorrow we are going ashore to check out the little town here. We will also get fuel for the boat.
Monday, November 5, 2007
Friday, October 26, 2007
A Quick HELLO and update-Today is Thursday, October 26. We are in Oceanside Marina and have been here for a few days. We plan to leave early tomorrow morning for San Diego. The weather has been warm and extremely smokey. We seem to be following the fires as we sail south. The ashes are a mess on the boat- We were able to spray the outside of the boat at the fuel dock at Newport beach - We saw black debri and ashes in the ocean and a grey sky of smoke as we sailed and then motored with the lack of wind. Once again a thorough washing of the boat at Oceanside Marina. It is so nice to hook up to fresh water for the cleaning. It is difficult to complain about our trivial time spent on cleaning when we hear and talk to so many people who have lost their homes to the fires here in Southern Cal.
I have never experienced the Santa Ana winds and never want to again. I spoke of "THESE" winds while visiting the Channel Islands-Well, we had a reprieve of about one week while sailing to Santa Catalina Island. We enjoyed the beautiful clear water and anchorage at Two Harbors and then at Avalon. We found Avalon to be a fun place-until the power boats overwhelmed us on the weekend. We heard news of the "SANTA ANA'S"-so off we sailed to Newport Beach-the wind blew mostly non-stop with gusts of 38-we were on a mooring and felt secure as the boat rocked. "the winds" suddenly stopped on the ocean- and we actually had to motor sail much of the distance to Oceanside.
We are so anxious to sail out of Southern California and into Mexico!! As previously mentioned-Destination San Diego tomorrow -meet up with Crew Patrick Fahey in San Diego on October 30 and off to Mexico we go.
We miss our Friends and Families and send happy wishes to everyone!!
I have never experienced the Santa Ana winds and never want to again. I spoke of "THESE" winds while visiting the Channel Islands-Well, we had a reprieve of about one week while sailing to Santa Catalina Island. We enjoyed the beautiful clear water and anchorage at Two Harbors and then at Avalon. We found Avalon to be a fun place-until the power boats overwhelmed us on the weekend. We heard news of the "SANTA ANA'S"-so off we sailed to Newport Beach-the wind blew mostly non-stop with gusts of 38-we were on a mooring and felt secure as the boat rocked. "the winds" suddenly stopped on the ocean- and we actually had to motor sail much of the distance to Oceanside.
We are so anxious to sail out of Southern California and into Mexico!! As previously mentioned-Destination San Diego tomorrow -meet up with Crew Patrick Fahey in San Diego on October 30 and off to Mexico we go.
We miss our Friends and Families and send happy wishes to everyone!!
Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Monterey to Channel Islands
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
sailing "out the gate"
We actually motored out the golden gate bridge on Friday September 21. Our friends Tim and Julie are motoring out with us on their boat Luna Sea. The sky was clear and we smile as we say good bye to San Francisco Bay. The wind provided us with a nice sail to half moon bay. As we arrived into the anchorage at Half Moon Bay the sky was cloudy. It rained off and on throughout the night and the next day. So, we decided to stay for two nights-took the dingy to the wharf area. We left for Monterey at 6:00 AM. The ocean was like a lake with very little wind-so, we motored onto our destination. the ocean was beautiful and sparkled as we saw many dolphin, a whale and areas that were covered with jelly fish. We arrived into the Monterey Marina at 4:30 PM. The weather has been sunny and warm. We have enjoyed walking the Fisherman's Wharf, and watching the many sea otters and seals. We will be leaving here on Wednesday to Stillwater cove and then onto San Simeon.
Sunday, September 16, 2007
Dock Party
The dock party was a great success with family and friends. Many bottles of good wine, good conversation and much laughter. We greatly appreciate the support and gifts from all who attended. Our excitement is escilating as our departure day of Thursday September 20 gets closer. We still have some "loose ends to tie up at home". We will leave the property in Forbestown in the morning-drive to Santa Rosa to leave the car at my sister Lori's house and our friend Varrick will pick us up to drive to the boat!!! We will then be without a car-so off we will sail to spend our first night of the adventure in Sausalito and leave Friday AM to Half Moon Bay.
Monday, September 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
